Friday, August 15, 2008

More Seed Collecting....

Deep summer is when laziness finds respectability. ~Sam Keen

A few more seeds and propagation's....

I hope I'm not boring you to death with my seeds. I get just as excited about the seeds the flowers produce as I do planting them in the spring....

This one I propagated this spring just to see if it would work. I took a few leaves off this one and put them in a bowl on top some wet newspaper and put the whole bowl in a baggie, zipped almost closed and waited. Finally you could see a few little leaves forming. When I thought it was time and roots had formed I layed them on top the soil and put them back in the baggie. They are doing really well and growing fine..

Just what I needed a new house plant... So I gave them away to a friend!!
The Hyacienth Bean sure doesn't hide it's seed pods!!! They will be as big as a green bean,beans.

I planted this one inside last spring, early spring. Not the right thing to do. I did it way to early and they got really big and leggy before it was time for them to go out. So learn from my mistake and don't plant early. This one could be planted right outside after last frost and still be fine... This is another one that does not hide it's seeds..
This pod is about as big as a big cherry tomato, with lots of thorn's around it...

And it is full of seeds....
If you don't get them off the plant before they open you will have plants coming up everywhere. My husband hates this plant, if we don't get the whole plant cut back before frost it is really slimy to cut down...So we try to get this one out before frost ....
We usually even have them coming up in the compost pile too each year...LOL
Be careful with the seeds they say they are poison and to keep them away from your pets. If you take the pods off and let them dry they will pop and go everywhere if you don't watch them so be careful...
I hope learning about some of the seeds excites some of you to start collecting and planting in the spring. It is fun to see the little babies grow!!!
Have A Good One...
Lynn

No comments: