Wednesday, August 13, 2008

A Day for Seed Picking.....

A perfect summer day is when the sun is shining, the breeze is blowing, the birds are singing, and the lawn mower is broken. ~James Dent

It has been such a beautiful day, I could be inside getting something done but it is much more fun playing outside. Winter will be here too soon and we will have to be inside...

So I picked some seeds off lots of stuff today and took pictures for you. I love saving seeds !! But sometimes it is hard to find just where they are. I have learned allot from the web about saving my seeds, how to store them and how and when to plant them. It is allot of trial and error but I am learning. Some times I follow the rules and sometimes I just do my thing.
I really read up on Begonia's this winter I had saved some seed from some my Mother had purchased, (they are tiny like salt) but from everything I read you really had to have everything sterile and just perfect. Then they took a long time to germinate..

Well they did take a long time to germinate, but I just waited...


I didn't plant them until after the frost, and I put them in my little greenhouse. They finally came up and even bloomed. They are small and I think I will try to take them in this winter. But at least I can say I did it!!! LOL MY WAY!!!

This is an easy one Calendula Seed, see them in the left corner the curly things. Really easy to grow and allot of times they reseed themselves...

This one is a little tricker...

It is Million Bells...


When they start to go to seed you have to be quick the pods turn quick and then drop their seeds before you know it. They are really tiny as you can see in this next picture...



This is my Fan flower it was a little harder to find the seed on this one...

It is in between the leaves right below the flower....

I haven't tried to seed this one yet, I love this one and I'm going to use it more next year, so I hope it seeds well. But just in case it doesn't I am taking one in for the winter to propagate... My Geraniums I grow are the ones with the really pretty leaves, I don't grow these for their flowers. But the seeds are really visible on them.. But I cut them back and take them in too. But this year I'm going to try and seed them too...

Nice big seeds on them...Ok I'm tired of downloading pictures I'll show you more later...
Have A Good One...
ynn

No comments: