Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The Art and Sport of Collecting Seeds...

For man, autumn is a time of harvest, of gathering together. For nature, it is a time of sowing, of scattering abroad. ~Edwin Way Teale

I came across an article today on Dave's Gardens and laughted so hard at it knowing how true it was and how many times I had done the very same thing. In fact I just told Tom the other day while in front of McDonald's that in a few weeks I'm going to have to go back for some of the Marigold seeds. LOL


You just have to read it!!!


http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/248/





It seems that every night when I come home from work that is what I do to just chill for a few and collect seeds from all my plants that are going to seed right now, or thinking about all I have to do to get some ready to take inside in a few weeks. It will be time before we know it!!

I finally found the seeds on my Gazania the other night, you would have thought I won a million bucks!! With each new years plants I am finding more seeds, my seed files grow larger every year!! LOL





One of the Coleus Forum Ladies sent me a whole box of coleus starts last week and they are already rooting. I am planning on planting a whole bed of coleus next year and this will be a great start for me. I didn't have one of the ones she sent, so I was happy!! I am really enjoying the Dave's Garden membership it was well worth the price of admission!!! There is so much to learn there and you can find out anything...


Tom is even enjoying it...

Bridalvail...

This is one of the easiest ones to winter that I have. I just grab a handful of stems off this one about 5 inches long. Pop them in a glass of water and let them root. It takes about 4-5 days. When rooted good I just put them in a small pot and set it in my kitchen window for winter. Only watering when it looks dry. If it starts to grow too much I just give it a hair cut...

Then in the spring I start to let it grow a little more and start taking cuttings again for friends and family. This was that little start ,I just put it in a 10 inch pot and let it go crazy. Now it's time to cut it again, I have been doing this for years with this one... If anyone needs any just give me a call..Happy Seed Snatchin"

Lynn

No comments: