Tuesday, June 23, 2009

What can I call a day like today?


I got up grabbed my coffee and went to the couch to read the morning paper. I heard on the news the night before that a child was killed in an ATV accident on Sunday. It was up on the other side of the county so I just supposed I didn't know them. But when I picked up the paper I read the news that it was a 17 year old girl that just lived 3 miles away, and the sister of one of my former students. It is so hard to hear that such a vibrant child could be gone...

Then within the hour I found out that the neighbor 2 doors over had died at the age of 85 this morning. I have lived in this neighborhood almost my entire life, I went to school with all of his children. The street he lived on is the same one as my mother-in-law. Almost everyone on that street are about the same age. It is so sad to see them go one at a time in the last few years.

So I tried to fill my day by keeping busy... I went to pick up my new glasses, then I packed up my garden hose and watering cans and we went to the Veterans Square downtown to water, where on Sunday my husband and I planted all the flowers there. Something we have done for 2 years now as our volunteer project for the Master Gardner's. Seeing all the flowers doing great made me smile and that was good. We came home and spent some time in the garden tying up the tomatoes that really needed it. Since we haven't been able to get into the wet garden for a week. Finally we took one dog at a time to give them their baths, and clipped their nails. That always makes us laugh because we don't know who gets the wettest!!! LOL But they all three look great, and we are warn out, so I think it is time for bed. I will pray for a better day tomorrow! Then the strength to visit the families at the funeral home...

No comments: