Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Anyone getting tired of watering flowers???

'Tis my faith that every flower Enjoys the air it breathes!~William Wordsworth, "Lines Written in Early Spring," Lyrical Ballads, 1798


It is getting that time of the year when everything is singing it's last song...
We haven't had rain in forever...
I never thought I would say that, with as much rain as we had this summer...
With all the rain everything looked so good. Now everything is so dry and the rain barrel is dry and the ground is as hard as a rock. I took down two sets of Funky Pots and pulled up all the tall zinnias. They were so dry and looking really bad. The Profusion Zinnias are still going strong though.. They will be a definite for next year. Except not as many Cherry ones they faded to much. The coleus are doing great as long as they have water, so I think I will do a whole bed of them next year. I'm planning on taking lots of them inside for winter so I can propagate more in the spring...Here is one called "Watermelon" that will go in for the winter. One of my Dave's Garden Buddies sent me about 15 different coleus from Virginia a few weeks ago and they have all rooted and are planted in a big pot to take in for winter.. I know I am crazy, but we already knew that!!! LOL On my way to work in Barrackville each morning I see a bed of nothing but coleus and they are still looking beautiful and they will probably look that way til frost. I want a bed just like that next year...
Remember a few blogs ago about seed snatching??? Well I want to go to this house and just pinch back all her coleus when she is not looking... of maybe I will call and ask first!!!


The new French Marigolds that promised 250 blooms per plant have really done their thing too.
If it weren't for all the annuals the yard would look pretty plain this time of the year. I just hate to give up on them and retire to the fact that fall will soon be here.

We need rain bad and the weather report says maybe Saturday, Hurricane Hanna will hit!!! So come on Hanna...

But the fall Sedum is blooming and needs no extra water. The butterflys have been all over this and the bees.

Ok time to go... Talk to you this weekend when it is raining.....

Have a good one..

Lynn

No comments: