Thursday, May 7, 2009

Foodie Friday... Funnel Cakes...

It is Foodie Friday at http://designsbygollum.blogspot.com/
You have to check out all they yummy things...

I made a cookbook for my daughters a few years ago on Shutterfly... It had all their favorite recipes. I am printing this recipe just as it is in the book. At the end of all the recipes I told a story about each recipe... this one was just really funny, I thought you might enjoy the story...


Carnival Ladies Funnel Cakes


1 1/2 Cups self-rising flour
1/4 Cup sugar
1 1/3 cups milk
2 eggs, slightly beaten
Vegetable oil
Sifted powdered sugar

Combine flour, sugar, milk, and eggs in a bowl. Beat till smooth. Heat oil to 375 degrees (1/4 - 1/2 inch in skillet). Pour 1/4 cup batter in funnel: pour batter into hot oil in circular motion to form spiral.

Fry each funnel cake 1 minute or until edges are golden brown: turn and fry until golden. Drain on paper towel covered plate. Repeat with remaining batter. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.

Makes 1 dozen (5 inch) funnel cakes.

I began making these at Lil's craft show when you kids were young. Than Patty and I started making them for 4th of July parties at Paulette and Dave's. The kids fought over who would be first in line. Than one year all us girls, Patty, Paulette, Donna, Mary and I went to Deaf camp with you both and made them for all the kids. When we were ready to serve them up Paulette yelled "FUNNEL CAKES-FUNNEL CAKES ARE READY!!" But since all the kids were deaf it was really funny I thought we would die laughing!! We have had a great time over the years making Funnel Cakes even for all the neighbors in the summer.

Have A Good One,
Lynn

4 comments:

Martha said...

Love your funnel cake pourer -- I've never seen one -- often festivals aren't complete until you've had your funnel cake!

Rattlebridge Farm said...

Oh, I do love funnel cakes! These look wonderful. I have always been afraid to make them, but you've inspired me.
Happy Mother's Day!

imjacobsmom said...

Oh! We love the funnel cakes at the fair and I never thought of making them at home - I'm so going to do this. Especially when I put the deep fryers up outside. I think your little funnel pitcher is so cute. ~ Robyn

Foley said...

I'm glad you showed the demo - have never made them..reminds me of the State Fair!!