Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Childrens Gardening...

I have my paint brushes back out and working on a really great project! Our local county Reading Council is having a Children's Story Walk Festival. They will walk around our downtown area, where story boards will be up all over and people will be reading books to children . They will be given a map that tell what books are where, as they go to each one they will be given a sticker to add to their map. At the end they will put their maps in a box to win prizes. There will be book characters dressed up walking around. Performances , snack, special prize drawings and even a book signing... It sounds like so much fun for the kids. My booth will be on gardening for kids. We are going to decorate with pumpkins, mums, corn stalks and sitting on straw bales to read our many books on gardening to the kids... I finished the first board this evening, hopefully I will start another one tomorrow night... I hope to use these for many more master gardener events, I really think kids need to get involved with gardening, they can learn so much!!!


I hope I have more to show you in the days to come... the walk is on Oct. 3rd...
Have a good one,
Lynn


This was taken from a wonderful book "Kids Gardening"
A Kids' Guide to Messing Around in the Dirt...

4 comments:

Balisha said...

Hi Lynn,
What a fun idea.Your story board is really cute. I hope it is a success for you.
Balisha

Darla said...

What a wonderful event...I would love to be a part of something like this.

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Lynn girl this is an amazing display of your skills and ideas : ) I too think kids should really get to understand the garden connection .. I missed out with our son because we moved so often and were so busy.
That walk is on my birthday so it will be a good one for you all !!
Joy : )

Barb said...

This sounds wonderful. I wish we had something like that here. It sound great. I hink your story board is great.
Barb