Thursday, July 14, 2011

Things we learn as a child... Some we never forget...

   As a child I can remember my mother teaching me how to knit. I loved it and knitted a few scarves and than with really large needles I knitted a dress. I remember it was peach and I loved it, I even wore it to school. I must have been in 6th or 7th grade. I wonder what ever happen to it? Years went by before I began to knit again. I taught my youngest daughter to knit a few scarves when she was in high school. As hobbies go we lost interest for a few years. I never really knew how to do anything other than knit and pearl and make scarves, so when I heard a friend had a shop and was giving lessons I called my daughter and we started taking classes. It didn't take long for us to catch on and learn how to use a pattern to actually make something other than a scarf. Both of my girls are very crafty and creative, I love spending time with each of them crafting away the hours.
     Until a my oldest was beginning college we never even owned a computer, that was 1997. I didn't even know how to turn on one...LOL I'm sure you are wondering where this is going? Well I couldn't do without one today. I have found out you can learn how to do anything on the computer... Especially on You Tube! If I am trying a new knitting pattern and I have no idea what to do I just go to You Tube and type in knit-and the stitch I need to learn, and there it is in detail on a video just what I need to know. Video after video,and I am a visual learner. If I can see it done most of the time I can do it. You can start from the very beginner knitting stitch to really detailed things...
     Than when I need a pattern I go to my favorite place and sometimes stay there for ever it seems...
Ravelry (just click on link) you just sign up it is all free and there are thousands of free patterns to go through., an plenty you can pay for and just download. Just about anything you would ever want and too many to ever knit them all!!! I have so many I have printed off that I want to do and know I will never get to. So now I just add them to my favorites of that site, it is my wish list of sorts... Last year I knitted hat after hat for Hats for Hugs for cancer patients. I learned so much from each one and lots of new stitches.
This one actually went to someone I knew and I was happy she liked it...

This little child's watermelon hat was hard to knit, knowing it would go to a child...

I hoped this one would be a ray of sunshine to who ever it would go too...

So as you can see I am still hooked on knitting and I don't think I'm going to loose interest this time of a while, neither is my daughter. She just knitted her first sweater, and it is so cute!
I am knitting this scarf right now, I searched an search for this stitch to knit this scarf. I had seen it somewhere and I thought the stitch would be beautiful in a scarf, but couldn't find out what the name of it was. Than low and behold of all places I was looking at some knitted wash cloths ( click on link) on Raverly and found it...
Now I am well on my way to finishing it this summer and of course I turned to you tube for some help on this one.


The pattern is hard for you to see here you may be able to see it better on the link knitted wash cloths... These pictures don't do it justice it is turning out beautiful, it is just taking time, something that is scars in the summer...
So anyone of you that thinks you want to learn something just turn to YouTube a try it out...
Knitting just might be your thing!

Here we go I updated the picture and you can see the pattern better now !



Have a great weekend,
Lynn

1 comment:

Tolentreasures said...

Can't even imagine the time that I have spent in front of YouTube learning to knit! Your items are beautiful. I make donation hats also, but none as fancy as yours! Great job!

Cathy