Wednesday, July 7, 2010

4th of July Camping Trip...

As we came across the mountain we stopped at the overlook to see the beautiful water on the South Branch of the Potomac. The water was really low but still a wonderful sight. This is one of my husbands favorite place to fish... Shorty after arriving at the campsite it was time to start putting up our tents... First we put up our daughters... What a difference from the tents of the past. Back in the 70's they were so heavy and all those poles, it took for ever to put them up. Now it is just minutes and in a really tiny case. I love it!!!




Than on to ours... The flag went up and shall we say "Home Sweet Home"...



Mia just sat and watched as we worked...she loves to camp!!!



We took all three dogs and the little kids loved to walk them. I don't think they have been walked this much in years... This one is Claudia and Riley loved walking her...


This one is Keegan and he was Caleb's favorite... We had 7 dogs in camp again this year. Thank goodness they all get along great!!!



The "Princess" Claudia was ready for bed early in her own chair all cuddled up in her blanket!!! Shall we say PAMPERED!!!



Early the next morning we went for a drive... To "WalMart" for a new air mattress since mine died!!! LOL

On the way we saw so many fields full of hay bails... Hundreds of them... It wasn't a holiday weekend for all the farmers that had 5-6 beautiful days to get the hay put up!



Big bails of Hay...


Here we are in our big field all set up... There were 24 of us in all in our group...
Down in that valley between two montains... Nothing but green...



I was always know as the "Queen of Sleep" my whole life. But in the last year or so I am the "Early Bird" So I was up at Sunrise and off for my walk.This was on my morning path even before my coffee... Since I was usually the first or second one up... Look at the sun hitting the beautiful green West Virginia Hills....


That bright sun coming up through the trees....






If you click on the photo you can still see the dew on the leaves. It was so crisp and clear in the early morning.. So quiet, all you could hear were the beautiful sounds of the birds. The first morning I came across 6 dear in the field just browsing. They were so graceful as they caught wind of me and jumped the fences to the next field...


This one is for you Balisha, the dew on the tip of a leaf... With the bright morning sun hitting it!!!



Everything looks so bright and fresh in the mornings...



After breakfast on Saturday my daughter and her boyfriend JR decided to take a float down river, they put in around 11:30am. Kayaks were about the only thing going down the river this weekend with the low waters...

Here they are coming down the river at 5:30pm about 6 1/2 miles down river... They fished,swam and Baked all the way down....


They were really tired when they pulled in, that's a long float with the water so low. Lots of paddling and even walking, but they had a good time....



Than it was time for dinner, it was a hot dog night. Everyone with their hot dogs in the fire getting ready to eat. This is so much fun as everyone gathers around the fire in the evenings...




They were really ready to eat!!!
Mama Lynn as the kids call me was in charge of the Funnel Cakes that evening. I usually do this with my best friend Patty, but this time my Sister-in-Law Patti helped me. I had the big Iron Skillet out and they were eating them as fast as I could make them!!!


Sunday morning you can see the haze over the mountains as we gathered under the tarp trying to stay in the little bit of shade we could find, until it was time to go sit in the river to cool off...


There is one thing you do when you are camping and it is EAT!!! This group knows how to camp and Cook. Sunday night started off by starting the corn over the fire...



While the new rookies were shown how to crank the ice cream makers... And Crank and crank and crank....

Here's a few more being shown by the Master Ice cream Maker...


Tom and Claudia found some shade for a few minutes before dinner to take a nap...





While Rusty put on the steaks and cooked them to perfection...


Would you look at the size of them, and I ate every bite of mine!!!


Dinner is over and we are just waiting for desert to be ready, I told you this group knows how to put on a quite a spread !!!


The homemade Ice cream is ready and it was so delicious!!!




Of course we had to have homemade apple and blueberry cobbler cooked in big iron dutch ovens, in the hot coals to go with that cobbler!!! LOL
Now I really couldn't move just waddle across the lawn to my chair!!!


As the evening came to a close in front of the fire we watched fireworks and just enjoyed the company...
Of course with Mia on my lap, she hates fireworks. As if it weren't hot enough I had to hold her and all that fur!!





My sister-in-law had the other two all bundled up for the night...

Than another big morning breakfast, even a few leftover steaks got warmed up with all the other things...

Fried potatoes...

Bacon and Sausage... Along with eggs, toast, fruit, and much more.



For us it was time to pack up and head home, after a wonderful 5 days on the river it was time to say good bye to everyone and we all went in different directions promising to return another time for more fun and great food...
Have a Good One,
Lynn














































































1 comment:

Balisha said...

Ooh, Lynn, You guys sure know how to have a good time. The dogs look so contented with all their pampering. Thankyou for the picture...I love it. The fooooood! Groan..I added a pound just looking at them. Thankyou for the picture...I loved it. Hugs Balisha